I just got this email from Gen Con and felt like the world should enjoy it!!
Ten Fun Facts and Figures from Gen Con Indy 2012
The Gen Con team hopes you had a unique, fantastic experience at Gen Con Indy 2012. The show’s global network of passionate fans makes each Gen Con a once-in-a-lifetime experience. To the attendees that showed up this year, Gen Con would like to thank you not only for your support, but also for your continued, year-long passion for the Best Four Days in Gaming™!If you didn’t make it to the show this year, don’t worry! Gen Con will return next summer to the Indiana Convention Center on August 15-18, 2013. Make sure to save the dates!In the meantime, check out these cool stats from Gen Con Indy 2012:
10. Gen Con raised more than $14,000 for charity this year, including a record-breaking Cardhalla first toss of $1652! Charity dollars went to support the Stars Youth Foundation, an Indy based organization that helps underprivileged youth. Pictured are Stars Youth Foundation students playing games at this year’s Gen Con.
9. Nearly 9,000 events ran as part of Gen Con Indy, including the Dungeons & Dragons Keynote, which hosted nearly 1,000 attendees, and the first-ever WorldMagic Cup which had players from 71 different countries participate, including Cup winners Chinese Taipei.8. Three Media Guests of Honor! Thanks to Wil Wheaton, Nichelle Nichols, and Wes Bentley for their awesome enthusiasm and participation!
7. 50+ demo tables and 25+ giant-sized versions of Mayfair Games! You haven’t played Catan until you’ve played a GIANT version of the game!
6. 20 food trucks provided hot, delicious food throughout the weekend on the renovated W. Georgia St.5. Press attendance was larger than ever before! 500+ reporters and members of the media attended Gen Con Indy 2012 with more than 5 television crews in attendance.
4. More than 45 free badges for Gen Con Indy 2013 were given to show attendees this year3. 300+ exhibitors displayed in the Exhibit Hall, showing more than 45 debuting games2. The Gen Con Indy Facebook page reached more than 780,000 unique peopleduring the week of Gen Con Indy 2012. and…
1. 41,000+ unique and 134,000+ turnstile attendees took part in the Best Four Days in Gaming™!
2012 Film Festival Winners
Congratulations to the winners of the Gen Con Indy 2012 Film Festival!
· Best Feature Film: The Fellows Hip: Rise of the Gamers
· Best Short Film: Natural 20
· Best Series: Aidan 5Filmmakers from around the world gathered to compete in this year’s festival. Some traveled from as far away as Australia and the United Kingdom for screenings, film panels, and the awards ceremony. Films from across the United States, Canada, Australia, Israel, Japan, and Great Britain made it a truly international event.The screenings were held at the Westin Hotel throughout the four days of Gen Con Indy with winners selected by jury on Sunday. The winning films have been awarded cash prizes, as well as complimentary booths in the Gen Con 2013 Exhibit Hall for the Best Feature and Best Series.
If you are a filmmaker, be sure to watch for 2013 Film Festival news to participate!
Still Opportunities to Participate in Tides of War: Gettysburg Kickstarter
Like wargaming? Check out this sponsored message from Rising Tides Entertainment:
Saturday, September 1 is the final opportunity to obtain the currently funded Tides of War: Gettysburg on Kickstarter.Tides of War: Gettysburg from Rising Tides Entertainment, Inc., combines miniature war gaming with board wargaming, and features 99 brigade commander miniatures and 27 artillery miniatures mounted on rectangular counters plus 15 stand-alone army and corps commander miniatures. Unlike games that eliminate entire units with the role of a die, each miniature is rotated after participating in combat to reflect changing combat strength.More Details:
• Endorsed by Maj. Gen. Alan Salisbury and designed by a team of combat veterans, historians, artists, wargamers, and technical experts.
• 2,500 scenarios
• Collector’s Edition comes with pewter miniatures on a metal-and-wood gameboard.
• Phone/Computer App (patent pending)
• 172 Miniatures (126 Rotating on Counters – patent pending)
• Oversized 32” x 34” Detailed Battle Map/Game Board
• Linear Obstacles and Field Fortifications
• Historical & Combat Experience Explanations behind the Rules
• Command, Reinforcement, Morale Cards, Supply & Interdiction Cards
• Evocative Rules, such as Reinforcement, Retreat, Rout, Continuous Attack, Merge, Artillery Combat, Line of Sight, Prisoners, and More!